Boston University: Write an essay of on any subject that interests you:
An experience that has greatly influenced your life.
It was the afternoon of January 31, 2010. I was in my ordinary Confirmation I class that I have been going to every Sunday where I learn about God, my religion, and everything else in between. It wasn’t so ordinary after all when the Confirmation II students came through my classroom. It turned out that both Confirmation I and II were combining classes. This was because the Confirmation I teacher couldn’t teach the class for that day. So, the Confirmation II teacher had to teach both classes. The teacher did not do a lot of teaching actually. She pulled up a video on the television set for all of us to watch. As the video was starting, she explained what the video was about. She stated that we were watching a video about a famous religious singer. “In the video, he talks about God, creation, and so much about religion. He also implements astronomy to what he preaches about,” and so on.
In my mind, I honestly was careless that we were watching a video. But hey, at least I don’t have to write down any notes this time. So I paid close attention to the video because I thought that I might get something out of it. I also wanted time to fly on by even faster. With my eyes locked on the television set, I see and hear a guy talking about the earth and the sun. He explained how gigantic the sun is compared the earth. He rambled how God has to be ginormous considering that He created a star that weighs 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg. Right then and there, I focused all of my heart, mind, and attention to what the guy was saying about how massive the sun is and that God created that massive star. Just by that statement about the sun, I was in wonder and awe. That’s all I felt—wonder and awe. I thought that the statement was the most astonishing thing ever. Even though I knew that God created the sun, I had never pictured the creation of the sun as that incredible. I thought that was astonishing, but then he talked about even bigger stars like Siruis, Arcturus (Red Giant), Antares A (Red Super Giant), and Cephei. He showed on a presentation on all these stars, and each star just got bigger and bigger. To me, each star was huge that if you were to put earth right next to these stars, earth would be nothing. Still, I am in wonder and awe. I got even more amazed. How could stars even more massive than the sun even be created. I guess the explanation is…God. He finally stated the largest star ever discovered in space. The star was called Canis Majoris. What a great name to call that largest star in space. He said that the star is so enormous that if it were hallow, it could fit quadrillion suns in it. I didn’t even know that quadrillion was even a number. What I felt? Even more wonder and awe. Mostly awe actually. It was the most awe-inspiring thing to listen to. I realized God’s creation and how great and wondrous He is in all that He has made for the universe.
When the guy was done talking about astronomy, he started talking about genetics—how God created all of us in a unique form—that if you were to say each of your own traits of your body, one second each trait, it would take you over 13 years to say all of your traits. Lastly, the guy explained the laminate molecule in our bodies. Laminate molecule is kind of like a protein. Protein helps us grow properly, stay healthy, and holds us together. The guy on in the video showed us a brief picture of the laminate molecule. Who Knew? The Laminate molecule was in a shape of a cross, a symbol of God. At that moment, my heart sank. I started to tear up a little. I did not know why I was crying though. Was it tears of joy? Sadness? Or what? There had to be a reason why I was crying a little bit, but I didn’t know why.
God put so much effort into my genes and I should always be thankful for how my body is because it is one of a kind. I thought about the rough times I had. I realized that God has always been in me. Not only in my heart, mind, and soul, but also in that “laminate molecule”. I realized the great God has done. His greatness and creation will forever be with me, deepening my love for God, my neighbors, and the world.
Hey Traaaci!
ReplyDeleteThe idea you used is great! When I read your essay about the stars, the laminate molecule and the traits in our body I was also in "wonder and awe." I actually want to watch that video now.
Your organization flows peacefully. I like the way you start with a regular day in confirmation class, to the video, then what you was watching in the video. The organization of what you watched was well done.
Your word choice worked well with your essay topic. Ex: implements, ginormous, awe-inspiring, etc.
I can absolutely hear your voice in your essay. No doubt about it. I really admire your conclusion. The way you expressed your thoughts is what really showed me your voice.
As for overall, I see no problems with your essay. It was really intriguing I honestly think that this essay will work very well with applying to college/s of your choice. (Mount St. Mary's right?) Your college essay is well done! I hope this essay will do you good in the future! That's all I have to say for now. Good Job!
-Shannel
Hi Traci :)
ReplyDeleteOk....so I had an easy time reading through your essay.
There were no awkward stops in this essay, which I really appreciate in a writer. It seemed as if your essay progresses in time sequence. That's cool too :) haha
I love how you had "wonder and awe" reiterated...it makes gives your essay that tension and seriousness.
As for corrections....I really don't have any. Good job Traci!
Hi Traci,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great experience in your confirmation class that day :)
It seems to have had an impact on you. What you need to do, however, is show, not tell about that impact. Notice that your essay is basically explanation of how you felt. Aside from the part where you get a little teary, there is no real evidence of how you changed, in your actions and as a person.
You will need to show this in your essay.
I would also make the parts about the video and why the two classes were together and such shorter because the purpose of the essay is to show who you are...concentrate on that :)
mrs s