The Homework Debate (Pro-Con Formative Assessment)

Click Here to view the article.

Summary:
Everyday, students from elementary schools to high schools are given one thing in common—homework. While homework is said to create more understanding and perfection in the different school subjects, now it is the total opposite according to academic administrators. Many people are saying that homework is "pain and no gain". There are no studies that show a correlation between homework and academic achievement in elementary school, and that there is little reason to believe that homework is necessary in high school.

Although, some children do like homework—doing journal work, practicing music, and showing experiments to their parents and other things. Doing things like these allows students to develop and do well in college says some graduates.

Administrators say that instead of doing mindless worksheets that do nothing for students, homework should be banned from school.

Proposition:
Homework should not be banned from any school.

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe that ALL homework should be banned from school, but I do think that giving excessive amounts of worksheets and book work assignments should be banned. The article states that worksheets do nothing for the student so why have them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont agree that all homework should be banned. For kids in elementary school, they should be given a little less homework and more activities that help the mind remember more information. Generally, more practice makes perfect. Preteens and teenagers should definitely have alot of homework because once you go to college, you wont know what hit you.From what the article says, homework allows kids to have self disapline and time management. I think that homework prepares kids for school the next day and it makes great practices for tests. Unless they are still little kids (ages 4-7) because they understand better through funnier and more interactive activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Traci,
    Good summary of article. In your proposition, however, it would be clearer to state it positively: Keep homework...or something like that.
    If you notice, your commenters responded incorrectly to the proposition. They actually agreed with you, but because they were confused by the double negative in the proposition, they said they disagreed.
    Assessment score: 3
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please check my blog. I am new to school system and I am open to your input and comments.

    http://tejasjjain-parenting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete